The Balfour Biological Laboratory on Downing Place in Cambridge served as the women's laboratory from 1884 to 1914. During the 1930s it was converted into a parish hall to be used by the church on St. Andrew's St.
Fig. 1 (left). Front view of the building formerly housing the Balfour Biological Laboratory.
Fig. 2 (right). Closeup view of the front door.
Fig. 3. Side view showing the present association with the neighboring church on St. Andrew's St.
Photos taken 13 June 2003 by Mena Schmid (Olympus c2040z, digital).
Return to Women Scientists Page
Return to Rudi Schmid's Home Page
Last revised: June 2003